My guest on this Hometown to Hollywood podcast episode is actor, podcast creator and author Matthew Del Negro.
Mathew’s success has been well-earned and slow-burning. He began doing small theatre productions in New York before landing a pivotal role in Season 4 of The Sopranos. Since then his career has spanned theatre, film, and TV, and he is best known for his roles in Goliath, Huge in France, Wind River, Scandal, The West Wing, When We Rise, Hot Pursuit, Teen Wolf, and many more.
In 2017, after describing his career as "being told 'No' for a living" when speaking to near-graduates of MFA Theater Programs in Los Angeles, Matthew created and launched his podcast, 10,000 Nos, which can be listened to on the Apple Podcasts App, Spotify and at 10000nos.com. On it, Matthew gets up close and personal with successful people from all walks of life about the 10,000 "No"s they've had to endure and the struggles they've had to overcome on their journey to where they are today.
We cover some inspiring territory, including how heartbreak led to an epiphany that started his journey as an actor, what he did to break into the business, advice for auditions and perseverance, and some very powerful mindset advice for success in life as well as in acting.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
· “It started with a bold proclamation, and commitment.”
· “Take action now, course correct later.”
· “If you go in trying to figure out what they want & doing that—even if you get the job—that whole job ends up being miserable, because you never own the character.”
· “Whenever I’ve been at my best, it’s when I’ve felt, ‘this is my take on the role, & you may like it or not like it, but this is what I’m going to do.’”
· “It’s not so easy when you have nerves, & you’re in the waiting room & others are sitting there and posturing and getting in your head.”
· “You need to love the actual work.”
· “Nobody from my world became an actor.”
· “My dad would always say, ‘failure is opportunity in disguise.’”
· “We have to be careful of who we choose to be around, so what we’re getting is lifting us & not crushing us.”
· “Find your people. Find the people whose values align with you. The people that GET you.”
· “Find the people who are going to empower you, & challenge you, & inspire you, & introduce you to things you might not have seen before.”
· “If you are listening to this podcast, you’re doing something right. Bonnie is like a guardian angel.”
Follow Matthew Del Negro HERE:
Get his book, 10,000 NOs HERE
Matthew Del Negro spent years in the trenches like so many actors do, learning lessons about how to succeed the hard way. And while none of us escape some time in the trenches-- and there are no shortcuts-- there ARE some ways to soften the learning curve and save some time and money figuring everything out on your own.
If you would like some help finding your way through the maze of the entertainment industry, book an online consultation with me. In just one session we can create an action plan for you.